Pictures of many locations on the North Coast of California, including the giant redwoods, the national parks and towns in the Eel River Valley

All About Fortuna, the Friendly City!

Over 2,000 images of this wonderful Northern California place we call home.


Home :: Login
Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search




Home > Album: Historic Images of Fortuna and the Area

0315.jpg
Train of Logs on Luffenholtz Trestle around 18904724 viewsEngine #11 - Oregon & Eureka Rail Road. Luffenholtz Creek is near Trinidad. This trestle, along with the town of Luffenholtz, burned to the ground in 1908 in a major Humboldt County forest fire. Many families lost their houses and all their possessions, barely escaping with their lives. Ericson Photograph Collection, Humboldt State University Library
0324.jpg
Trinidad1293 views
16thst_1024.jpg
A Very Early Picture of Fortuna1827 views
1920para.jpg
Parade in the 1920's1760 viewsThis picture, facing east, was taken from the veranda of the Lane House near 9th and Main Streets. It shows a pack train of the type used to travel cross country to the gold diggings.
1992ferndale.jpg
Earthquake, April 19922161 viewsMany of Ferndale's picturesque Victorian homes received damage during the April 25 '92 earthquake and the two major aftershocks the next day, including this house on Berding Avenue. Note the unpainted wood where the chimney used to be. The fireplace stayed put, but the whole house moved a couple of feet to the right. Structures in other Humboldt County towns were also badly damaged, with some burning to the ground. Luckily--miraculously, some say-- no one was killed. Times-Standard photo
20para_9th+main1.jpg
Parade in the 1920's1910 viewsThis was the 1920 version of the Greyhound bus. This picture faces west, taken from the veranda of the Lane House near 9th and Main Streets, looking west.
The bus (still called a stage) route took it to Rohnerville, Hydesville, Carlotta, Bridgeville, Blocksburg, Alderpoint and further south.
20para_9th+main2.jpg
Parade in the 1920's1655 viewsThe stagecoach, complete with a shotgun guard.
20para_9th+main3.jpg
Parade in the 1920's1443 views
230.jpg
Trinidad Wharf, 18931683 viewsSteamer Eddy taking on a cargo at the Charles B. Ryder's wharf on Trinidad Head. The wharf railway was mule-powered. For more information about Trinidad and more historical pictures visit J. Scott Shannon's http://trinidadbay.net/ web site.
From the Ericson Photograph Collection, Humboldt State University Library
231.jpg
Excelsior Redwood Company1792 viewsLumber train and camp operating out of Freshwater. This picture dates to the early 1890s.
Ericson Photograph Collection, Humboldt State University Library
232.jpg
Arcata Wharf1971 viewsIn 1855, the Union Wharf and Plank Walk Company completed a two-mile wharf across the mud flats to the deep-water channel in the north bay. A wooden railroad track set to a gauge of 45 inches ran from Union to the end of the wharf and provided a connection between dry land and the shipping channel farther out in the bay. In 1908 this railroad partially burned but it remained operational until the 1920's. Pilings from this old wharf are still visible in the mud flats near Arcata's boat launching ramp. The first "train" was a four-wheel car powered by a single horse. Passengers coming from Eureka to Arcata on the ferry, Gussie McAlpine, were met by the horse-drawn car and taken into Arcata to the depot located on the site of the present Post Office. In 1875, the horse-powered locomotive was replaced with a steam locomotive, called the Black Diamond. This is considered by many to have been the first railroad in the State of California.
The Arcata and Mad River Railroad was incorporated in July, 1881 as a successor to the Union Wharf and Plank Walk Company. At this time the existing track was extended through Blue Lake to Korbel. Known as the "Annie and Mary", it carried timber products, agricultural products and passengers. On good-weather weekends, its cars were often filled with picnickers heading for Camp Bauer at Korbel. High school students living in Blue Lake rode the Annie and Mary to school in Arcata. Ericson Photograph Collection, Humboldt State University Library
30sfort.jpg
Looks Like Rodeo Time in Fortuna!1623 viewsArt Ray picture
335.jpg
SS Corona Aground, 19061465 viewsThe recue attempt is in progress with some passengers watching from shore and others still on the deck of the steamship.
photo courtesy of Puget Sound Maritime Historical Society
9th.jpg
Downtown Fortuna, 19492062 viewsMain Street, looking east at the 9th Street intersection
aerial.jpg
Aerial View of Fortuna ca 19482090 viewsA brand new subdivision is being prepared directly across from the High School (middle right) on 12th Street. This would be the present-day blocks of I and J Streets and from 9th to 12th Streets. This picture also shows the gas depot across the railroad tracks from the Auction Yard (on the left). The Rodeo Grounds in Rohner Park still sports the racetrack. The bowling alley hadn't been built yet, and there was little development on Fortuna Boulevard - it was out in the country among the cows!
Art-Ray picture
air-view.jpg
Aerial View of Fortuna, 19492190 views
band.jpg
Fortuna Union High School Marching Band1605 viewsThe band marched and won an award at the Golden Gate Bridge Opening in 1937.
First Row, left to right: Donald Woodcock, Donald Neuhaus, Clair Jachnig, Duncan Graham, Jack Amen, Francis Farrar, Bill Burke, Anna Read, George Bronson, Mary Lozensky, Alvie Andreucci, Charles Hyney, Floyd Lewis and Clyde Williams.
Second Row: Leroy Dougherty, Joan Read, Victor Soares, Junior Jones, Ardis Jasper, Willard Mullan, Lloyd Anderson, Henry Trione, Alan Lufkin, Dan Spiegle, Eldon Wright, Audrey Townsend and Catherine McNaughton.
Third Row: Norma Fulmor, George Brenner, Bruce Alexander, Raymond Marks, Imodell France, Evelyn Biasca, Lorene Nicholson, Jean Hazelton, Carolyn Comfort, Alfred Kachler, Ernest Hansen, Helen Newell and Charles Jaehnig.
Fourth Row:Don MacMillan, Peggy Reeves, Zane Epps, Harold Pollard, Audry Chase, Sylvia Finch, Lawrence Fauerbach, Bud Myers, Evaline Hanson, Frank Friedenbach, Ted Krieg, Douglas Edgmon, Gladys Grove and Sewell Lufkin.
Fifth Row: Dick Bendell, Norman Grunert, Merlin Marvel, Jane McNaughton, Leland Hough, Phyllis Peterson, Kenneth Langlois, Frances Fulmor, Jeanne Bendorf, Eleanor Ross, Nancy Bendorf, Anna Jane Ross and Beverly Bendorf.
Sixth Row: Walter Filby, Joe Giacomini, Ellis Campbell, Gordon Davis, George Jones, Paul Allen, Catherine Wright, Gino Benetti, Dale Livingston, Leroy Scott, Nello Barsanti, Sam Pond, Jack Sutherland and Leo Berti.
bronco_bob.jpg
Bronco Bob1433 viewsBob and Captain Clark (the one with the saddle) at the Fortuna Rodeo in 1925. The Rodeo was four years young, it was organized in July of 1921 by the Humboldt Cattlemen organization.
cape_mendo_signal_station_1888.jpg
Cape Mendocino Signal Station, 18881623 viewsWouldn't want to be the caretaker here, even with the beautiful ocean view. Note the heavy wooden shutter for the window, on rails so it can be quickly and easily slid into place for protection. And the braces on this building. Uh, wait, braces on the building? Are they because of the punishing gale force winds in this location or because the extremely active Mendocino Triple Junction, the northern end of the San Andreas earthquake fault, is located just a few miles away?
According to lighthousefriends.com:"Living conditions on the exposed hillside (over 500 feet above sea level) were most difficult. Violent windstorms would break windows, and earthquakes frequently rattled the station causing significant damage to the structures. In just over forty years, housing for the keepers had to be completely rebuilt three times. Due to the steep terrain surrounding the station, the land frequently settled and slid during the wet season. As a result, floors warped and ceilings cracked. In the late 1890s, an assistant keeper and his family were forced to live in the concrete oil house. Although the Lighthouse Board described the oil house as "almost uninhabitable on account of its bad and unsanitary conditions", it continued to be used as housing for several more years. It is not surprising that inspection reports during this time frequently listed the health of the occupants of the station as 'poor' or 'fair'." More views of the Cape Mendocino area.
car01.jpg
First Automobile in Humboldt County (Newell & McIntyre)1338 viewsIt was a Michigan! There were four different makes of automobiles with that name, the Michigan (1904), the Mighty Michigan (1911), and automobiles manufactured by the Michigan Automobile Company and the Michigan Motor Car Manufacturing Company. The origin of the word 'automobile' is credited to a 14th Century Italian painter and engineer named Martini. The word comes from the Greek word, "auto," (meaning self) and the Latin word, "mobils," (meaning moving). He never built an automobile, but he did draw plans for a man-powered carriage with four wheels. The word 'car' comes from the Celtic word "carrus," (meaning cart or wagon). Other early media references to motor vehicles included names such as: autobaine, autokenetic, autometon, automotor horse, buggyaut, diamote, horseless carriage. mocole, motor carriage, motorig, motor-vique, and the oleo locomotive.
155 files on 8 page(s) 1